In 1928, Knudt and Emma Risetter bought a farm near Oliver Springs, Tennessee so they could grow fresh vegetables and Knudt could recover from pellagra, a vitamin deficiency that plagued his body. The Risetters began trying to interest neighbors in the Bible with very little success. In 1929, Ed Banks came to teach at the church school in Harriman and relayed to the Risetters the interest that lies across the mountain in a remote town call Coalfield.
Mr. and Mrs. Risetter checked out the area of Coalfield and found the interest and began the journey of rebuilding the company. Knudt realized that the only way to begin a steady revival of interest in the area was weekly services. He and his wife began cutting trees and brush so that they could make a trail across Walden's Ridge to hike every Sabbath. This was the modern beginning of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Coalfield.